Who says you can’t wear make-up to the gym? A little sweat could make your look.
One of the oldest rules in the beauty book is to avoid wearing make-up to the gym. Well, you can forget that (kind of).
While we’re not suggesting that you cake on a full face of the good stuff before hitting the treadmill, there are products and tricks that are crying out for a bit of a sweat fest. Just think of us as your personal beauty trainer…
This smoky-eye look actually benefits from a workout. Apply thick eyeliner before hitting the gym – it will smudge during exercise to create a gorgeous smoky look, taking you from bench- press to bar! Clinique’s Quickliner For Eyes Intense, £14 (1), dries after 60 seconds and it’s water-resistant so is ideal for your workout. Before you begin your gym sesh, add a sweep of Mac Mineralize Skin Finish, £21.50 (2), to your cheeks and keep lips nude with Mac Lipstick in Fresh Brew, £13.50.
Make the most of your gym glow by teaming bare skin with a bold lip. Keep the colour matte – we heart Nars Pure Matte Lipstick in Catharge, £18.50 (3). But if your perfect shade only comes in gloss, go matte by pressing a similar colour eyeshadow into your lippy. Finish with a hint of Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge For Lips And Cheeks in Powder Pink, £18, on your cheekbones.
- Before heading to the gym, give your skin a deep clean to unblock pores and leave a radiant glow. Bioré Steam Activated Cleanser, £5.99, works with the heat from your shower to dissolve dirt, oil and make-up and lift them away.
- Glow is good, grease is bad. Try a mattifying moisturiser such as Nip + Fab Shine Fix Mattifying Gel, £10.80. Enriched with nettle extract, the microsponges in the product absorb and help regulate your skin’s oil flow to keep your face shine-free.
- Get sun-kissed skin with St Tropez Naturals Radiance Self Tan for Face, £17.99 (4). The formula works as a moisturiser, gives a tan-like luminosity, plus has pomegranate extract for a skin-plumping effect. Bonus!
Your Make-up Gym Kit
- Ditch your foundation for a tinted moisturiser, as heavy formulas will slip off your face while you sprint. A non-oil-based product such as Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser SPF30 Oil Free, £33 (5), is a winner.
- Avoid panda eyes with Model Co Fibre Lash Brush On False Lashes, £35. It’s water- and smudge-proof. Plus it sorts you out with a false-lash effect.
- Lipgloss is a big no-no. Not only can it get stuck to your hair while you’re mid body pump, it won’t look pretty spread halfway across your face when you give the cute guy next to you a cheeky grin. Instead, go for a lip stain such as Benefit Benetint, £24.50, for colour that will go the distance.
Your Cute Cool-Down
- If you haven’t got time to reapply before heading back to work or out to dinner, embrace your post-workout glow by applying YSL Dare To Glare in Fatal Red, £28, along your cheekbones.
- See off smudges with the super-handy Simple Kind To Eyes Eye Make-up Corrector Pen, £4.99. The felt-tip nib is perfect for sorting out pesky liner and mascara marks.
- Wave goodbye to grease with Paul & Joe Blotting Paper, £10 – perfect for sorting any residual oily patches. Slip them into your gym bag in case of a major shine emergency.